2017-11-16

Room 2156

Convention time, and I had been given the access fob to the room at the hotel which was the venue for the convention. I'd come down to check out the hotel, and then decided to come back to the room to put my stuff away, since I'd just dumped it all inside the room.

I always get the elevator at the back. There are two, in the middle of a long corridor, basically the hotel's east and west wings. I was in the east wing.

A woman entered the elevator car in front of me. I got in, and checked my fob. It was not on the twelfth floor; it was room 2156. 21st floor.

I got out of the elevator, and the corridor was dimly-lit and almost silent. I could hear voices coming from the rooms. 2156 was a long way away, down along the corridor to the right, around the corner and the next, and more or less heading back in a westerly direction towards the end of the corridor. 2156 was right at the end, near the steps.

This part of the hotel was silent - it didn't sound as if there was anybody there at all. 2156 was on my right. I came in, and my stuff was right where I'd left in in the room. It looked a bit bare, but then I realised that this was just the vestibule - that there was a corridor off to the left. I went down the corridor, carrying my stuff. There was a big panoramic window on my left, and I could see the other wing of the hotel, curving around like a blocky C, embracing the hotel complex far below.

The short corridor opened out into a larger room, with a big panoramic window looking out at the city, a patio, and the bed area behind a curved wall. Beside the bed was a coffee table, and on that table were all sorts of fun toys: some of those military flashlights with a million lumen output that they advertise in all the spam, and sixteen tiny thumbnail - sized flash drives. I checked the capacity listed on their sides.

Four terabyte capacity. Each.

Not only that - the flashlight had a cap which, when unscrewed, revealed a USB plug and a flash drive with a 16 Tb capacity. "I'll 'ave that," I found myself saying.

So behind this partitioning curved wall was the dresser and some drawers, presumably for socks and underwear. I opened the drawers, looking for somewhere to put my fundaments, and discovered boxes stuffed with more of these tiny flash drives, 4 Tb and 8 Tb capacity. Dozens of them per box. Stacks of boxes. So I just found space for them all in my holdall and packed the lot of them into that.

Then I vowed to go shopping in town during the convention and buy myself another holdall for the spare flashlights, mobile phone battery packs, chargers, and even a couple of fleshlights in the bottom drawer - with a full range of attachments.

The alarm went off before I could do more than absentmindedly wonder whether this room was normally reserved for A-list celebs and their entourages or something. This was one dream where I really wish that I had the superpower of being able to bring material objects into the waking world from my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me of your dreams here.